Sunday, March 15, 2020

Tillandsia xerographica - the king!

I got my first 2 end 2017.

Sunlight:             The location of the first two is under a shade net and tunnel plastic bringing the   sunlight down to about 65%.

Air movement: There is some natural air movement as well as a small fan moving the air from down below.

Temperature:     The grow area is not heated in winter and temperatures do go down to under 4 degrees Celsius. In summer temperatures can go to 42 degrees Celsius. I only water early mornings to prevent cold or heat damage.

Humidity:           In general our humidity is very low in summer and winter. I do have my grow area packed with plants, so the humidity inside is a bit higher inside. I do have plants outside and they survive the conditions.

Watering:          I water about 3 times a week in summer and once a week in winter. In winter I do empty the water gathering in the tanks(That is where the lower leaves are joined to the stem lower down catching water.) I use micro sprayers that is doing a great job in summer, but I am thinking of moving to a hand sprayer when the night and day temperatures goes below 4 and 15 degrees Celsius.

Fertilizing:       I try to fertilize every time I water using only organics(Seaweed and guano) at low concentrations. Once in a blue moon I will fertilize with Epsom salts.

This is where these two are hanging:


I got this one January 2018 and decided to grow it a little bit horizontally:

This one flowering in March 2020:

Lots of flowers means a lot of hybrids!





Some others:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Tillandsia recurvifolia and Tillandsia recurvifolia var. subsecundifolia

 Beautiful in all its forms. Tillandsia recurvifolia: Tillandsia recurvifolia var. subsecundifolia: Beautiful hybrid:   https://www.bsi.org/...